One of my favorite culinary challenges is to take a basic recipe and modify it to make it healthier. Since blueberries are in abundance right now, I decided to concoct a healthier version of the traditional blueberry muffin. I was delightfully surprised when these turned out fluffy and tasty! Feel free to share your modifications. Let me know what you think!
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) organic unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups organic sugar
- 3 extra-large cage-free organic eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons organic pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) organic sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup organic whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Bread Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon pure baking soda
- 2 half-pints fresh organic blueberries, picked through for stems
- small amount organic brown sugar, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper liners in muffin pans. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, which takes about 5 minutes. Set the mixer to low speed and add the eggs 1 at a time. Next, add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk. Then add the bread mix and baking soda and beat until just mixed. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula and be sure the batter is completely mixed.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup just over the top. Sprinkle some brown sugar on each of the muffin tops for garnish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean. Yields 12-16 muffins. Enjoy!
OM Holistic Wellness provides acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. We are conveniently located to the surrounding communities of Hallandale Beach, Golden Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, Aventura, North Miami, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Davie and Plantation.