There’s no better time than Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Day (AOM) for newcomers to try the 3,000-year-old Chinese practice of acupuncture. Observed annually on October 24, AOM Day is designed to raise awareness to the use, progression, and benefits of acupuncture and other forms of traditional Oriental medicine. Thousands of licensed acupuncturists, government figures, and health organizations use this day to support the practice and its use in modern-day medicine
Whether you’re suffering from a particular condition, disease or ailment, or if you just want to see what all the fuss is about, you should schedule an acupuncture session on AOM Day. Being that AOM Day is recognized throughout the world (not just the U.S.), acupuncturists everywhere will be offering great deals in an effort to educate the general public on this practice.
One of the most common reasons why people seek the professional services of licensed acupuncturists is to treat pain. The Institute of Medicine (IOM) reports that more than 100 million people in the U.S. suffer from chronic pain. What’s even more alarming, however, is that the total cost of treatment for chronic pain is over $600 billion a year (lost productivity included).
We live in age where people visit their family doctor to treat everything from the common cold and flu viruses to migraines and chronic pain. These doctors are trained and coached by pharmaceutical companies to push drugs to their patients – drugs that mask the problem rather than treating it at the root cause. For instance, a doctor may prescribe painkillers to a patient complaining of chronic pain. These painkillers may offer some temporary relief, but this is short-lived, as the patient will develop a resistance to the drugs.
Acupuncture, on the other hand, treats pain and the underlying condition. By placing small needles in target areas, the body’s own self-healing mechanism is activated; thus, healing the physiological or psychological problem causing the pain.
6 Reasons To Try Acupuncture on AOM Day:
- It’s time-tested. Unlike the newer treatments and medicines on the market, you can rest assured knowing acupuncture has been tested for thousands of years. Some of the early documented accounts of acupuncture date back to China’s Shang Dynasty of 1600-1100 BCE.
- Acupuncture sessions are short, usually lasting 30-60 minutes each.
- 1 in 3 Americans use some form of contemporary/alternative medicine. Why aren’t you?
- According to a study published in the May issue of Archives of Internal Medicine, patients suffering from back pain saw a 15% greater improvement in their symptoms from acupuncture treatment than patients treated with traditional pharmaceutics.
- Acupuncture can treat both physiological and psychological disorders. Some of the common psychological disorders treated through acupuncture include stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia.
- It’s painless. Contrary to what some people may believe, acupuncture is completely painless. In fact, it’s actually quite calming and relaxing, as it activates your body’s natural self-healing-process.
OM Holistic Wellness provides acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. We are conveniently located to Broward and Dade counties and serve the surrounding communities of Hallandale Beach, Golden Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, Aventura, North Miami, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Davie and Plantation.